Monday, September 04, 2006

Labor Day Weekend Adventure

I am totally exhausted...

This weekend has been a very busy one indeed and I am glad it is over.

Thursday after work I drove over to my brother's in Conn. and spent the night before we headed to WV. I originally thought we were going to be leaving to coming back early Sunday and unloading stuff Sunday evening so before leaving the house I deflated my airbed. While I was eating dinner I found out that the plan was to come back Saturday. Since we were leaving early in the morning I went to bed early but had trouble getting to sleep. I had my alarm set to go off at 5:45am but ended waking up around 5 and finally got up at 5:30am. We got on the road on time and made really good time on the road, except in PA which just seemed to go on forever. After stopping for lunch and to pick up pepperoni rolls in Fairmont, WV we stopped in and visited for about 15 minutes with my grandparents before heading down the road to have dinner at our other grandfathers and see our aunt Ellen in from Cleveland for the weekend. After dinner I took my brother back down to the house so he could pack the toys (GI Joe, Star Wars, Transformers, and He-Man) and his stuff he was bringing back to his house. While at the house I rounded up my stuff from the house then headed back down to my granddad's to get the rest of my stuff which had been stored down there for 2+ years. I figured I would be up all night getting stuff together but my aunt Kirtha and her family helped me get everything into the staging area in the garage. I finally went to bed about 1 am dead tried from driving ~11 hours straight.
At 8am my aunt Ellen woke me saying that my brother called, I tried to get up but my legs would not respond and I had my alarm set for 8:30 am anyway. Finally I got up and drove to the house and picked up my brother while my aunt Kirtha went to the DMV and took care of renewing my car which the sticker on the car ran out at the beginning of August. Once we got back the packing started in earnest. One of the ladies at my church gave me a queen-sized bed but she must have been out of town because I tried calling her to tell her I needed to get out of her storage building. Since we were not able to get a hold of her it was a good thing that my mother is good friend of the lady who owns the storage buildings so we were able to get the bed out of the storage locker and get it packed in the truck. Then we loaded up the stuff at the house then had lunch before leaving at 1pm on our way back to Albany. On the way back, my brother drove the truck while I followed behind in my car. This worked fine form the first part of the trip because I would follow behind and could let him get ahead and easily catch up to him. However, half way through PA it start to rain and get windy and I, in my light Focus, was getting blown all over the place and had to concentrate on not hydroplaning and keeping the car on the road. It was so bad in some places I was only going 50 mph max. Once we got on the NYS Thruway the road got better and it stopped raining. We got to my place about midnight and we were both dead tried. Now if you remember I deflated my air mattress before leaving on Thursday and I did not have the pump charged. I inflated my full sized mattress for my brother to sleep on then as I made a poor attempt to fill the queen-sized mattress the pump ran out of juice. I was so tired I took my body pillow, two regular pillows, and a sheet downstairs and slept on the floor, I was that tired.
Sunday we were up at 7 am and unloaded all my crap into the house(I took pictures but my piece of $Y^@ desktop is not working right) and finished around 9am. After my brother left and headed to his place I figured that I was up and sweaty and I really didn't want to start unpacking so I showered and went to church. Sunday afternoon I put together my computer desk and set up my tv and dvd player and then tried to will the rest of the stuff to put itself away while I watched LOST. Finally went to bed around 11 and slept till about 10 this morning.
This afternoon I went to a Church picnic, played football and softball, all the time hoping that when I got home a modern miracle would happen and everything would be put away when I got home. So over the next few days I have to move the comics and the toys upstairs, unack my kitchen items, and go through 3 bags of misc. crap and figure out what I need to keep and what can be tossed.

When I first moved up here I never felt homesick, after this weekend I am feeling a little homesick.



Shawn said...

I can see where you might be homesick. It's not everday you get the ultimatum to pack up and leave, or else everything will be left out on the street.

Kara A said...

Homesick for the Kanawha Valley? Sorry that I can't have empathy or sympathy or whatever for you. Glad that you found a church up there. Just wait till snows.