Monday, August 21, 2006

Jet Set Weekend

This past weekend was probably the most fun I have had in awhile and also one where I got the least amount of sleep. This past weekend I flew out to Missouri to bring in a new pledge colony into the fraternity .

My plane left Albany at 4:45pm so I went into work at 7am which meant I got up about 5:30, which is way to early. I left work at 2:30 and headed to the airport thinking that I was going to get the full service going through security like I always do when I fly. Surprisingly enough I didn't get pulled which really surprised me especially with the new "strict" screening procedures. Apparently I was lucky unlike the girl who was in front of me who had to surrender her contact solution and other tolietries. I somehow got through with some old sleeping pills and some hand cream which had been in my computer bag since my trip to NYC in April. My flight went from Albany to Washington D.C. then on to Kansas City. On both flights which were almost full I had a seat to myself which great because I could put my laptop on the tray on the seat beside me and stretch out and be comfortable. After arriving in Kansas City I had to call the rental company to come pick me up and take me to get the car. When you travel cheap I guess you get what you pay for because the other car rental places had nice shuttles which clearly displayed the company compared to the white 15 passenger van with the logo on the side. Being dark I tried to keep an eye out for the white van which I saw drive right by so there I am running in my birkenstock sandal's trying to wave down the van while pulling my luggage. Of course even after running down the street waving like a madman the guy driving did not see me so there I am having a heart attack hoping he will come back around and thinking I am going to have to throw my body in the road to et him to stop. Finally he picked me up and we headed over and I picked up my car and proceeded to drive 2 hrs East to Marshall, MO where Missouri Valley College is located. After checking in to the hotel and getting to the room it was about midnight (1am est) and I was beat.

After getting maybe 5hrs of sleep, the expansion director and I headed over to the college where we spent the afternoon with the guys who were going to become the new pledge colony. After meeting with them, we headed back to the hotel and I went to the pool/hot tub to unwind, which was not the cleanest pool but was not so bad...mainly a few bugs floating in the pool(it was an indoor pool no less) which I pushed towards the filter. After a short swim we headed to dinner then back to the room and I made another quick trip to the pool since I was getting bored just sitting around the room. At 10 pm we headed back over to the college to officially bring in the group and ended up hanging around and visiting until 1 am.

After pulling myself out of bed and going down for a wonderful hotel breakfast of biscuits and gravy and doughnuts I packed up and checked out. Since my plane did not leave Kansas City until 5pm I had some time to kill so I decided to go see the local AAA baseball team the Kansas City Royals take on the MLB Oakland A's. For $12 I got one of the best seats I have ever had it was the aisle seat in the second row from the right outfield.

I wish I had a digital camera because it was cool to be able to look right in to the bullpen and see the pitchers warming up and getting ready. My view of the field was this but obviously a lot closer.Unfortunately I had to leave during the middle of the 6th inning and was probably on ESPN because in the 4th inning Reggie Sanders hit a solo home run and it bounced off the roof of the bullpen, which had it been more to the left it might have fallen right in my lap. So I left the ballpark and made my way to the airport, again with no problems getting through security. No real problems on the way back, however my connection in D.C. to Albany they were trying to load four flights from one gate at the same time...headache. Finally got back to Albany, off the plane, got my luggage, and got to the car around midnight. After waiting for 15 minutes to pay parking and get on the road and headed home I was beginning to feel the fatigue of traveling. Got home about 12:45 and went right to bed (thinking ahead I made my lunch for Monday on Thursday night).

As I said I did a lot in the short weekend and I loved it although I am still trying to catch up on my sleep... speaking of which I think that's where I am headed now...


No comments: