Sunday, June 29, 2008

Two Weeks Away...

So 2 weeks from now I will have done my first Triathlon or be dead...okay I really don't think I will die but I do have to admit I am a bit nervous and this is just my way of playing off the nervous energy. I am really excited because this is the first time have ever tried anything like this. The closest thing that I have ever done was doing the Mile Swim at Scout Camp (which I did 5 or 6 times).

I think a big part of the nerves is that I thought I would be in better shape then I am right now. I think a big part of it is that I haven't been able to get back to I was a year ago weight wise. Last summer before I broke my wrist/hand I was feeling good about my weight and was holding steady at around 200lbs and was working on my goal of 185lbs. Well let's just say that having an immobile limb for 3 months really limits the amount of exercise one can do. I tried to continue SPINNING but having to use a sling just put so much stress on my back that it was not fun. Also before the accident I was on a schedule (which some called insane) of being able to get up and making it to the 5:30 am SPIN classes at the gym and then go back and do the evening class...well hydocodiene sure knocked that train off the tracks. Once I got the cast off I still had ~2 months of PT which was exhausting and painful.

It was probably late October or November until I was able to even think about doing stuff with my wrist somewhat normal again (more on the wrist later). So about this time I told myself sure I had put on some weight but I was determined to get back where I was before the accident. Well since then it's been a series of starts and stops and the situation has only slowly gotten worse.

In January I decided the way I was going to get into shape was to give myself a goaql to reach towards...doing my first Sprint Triathlon. So I joined the Tri-Club and tried to get back into a routine of working out doing cardio and strength training which was going well for a few weeks until I had the flu for 2 weeks and then ended up in the ER with a severe migraine. Then I started have knee issues...at first I thought I could work through it then when it started to get worse my Coach said I needed to have it checked out which I did, and I have tendinitis in my right knee so I had to cut back on the Spin and quit doing Boot Camp at the Y. During this time I started working with the nutritionist at the Y who basically told me I wasn't eating enough so I tried to follow her instructions but I think it worked in the opposite way. It also didn't help that March was a very stressful month with my grandfather passing and the stress that my fraternity involvement coming to a head on the same day...no less, then being home/traveling for a week and being able to stick to my diet or workout program.

Since then it has been a roller coaster of starting to get in a groove of working out and backsliding. I haven't gotten to ride my bike as much as I would have liked to due to weather and still trying to find a good place to ride around here since the last time I was out I was attacked by a dog. Luckily all that really happened was I bruised my shin bad from where the dog slammed into the pedal and it jammed into my leg plus I am still leary about riding on the road with cars whipping around me. I have been doing a lot of swimming which I love and have gotten some great tips which have helped me improve my stroke technique. Running is has been the hit a miss thing since it is what really kills the knee. It is so bad that the next morning it is really stiff, even when I ice it religiously.

So back to what I started the post with... I AM GOING TO FINISH THIS RACE! Today we did an open water swim which was fun even if it was a bit weird using goggles in the lake. I wanted to swim across the lake but we had to stay in the "Swimming Area." Afterwards 5 of us decided to take a bike ride. I was syked because I got pedals this week so I could clip in with my bike shoes and was looking forward to trying them out...So as we were leaving the camp grounds about to hit the main road all of a sudden I hear Pssssssssst.... and my front tire goes out. Luckily I unclipped and the coach showed me how to change a bike tire ... fun times. After that we reversed and met up with the others then went back to the cars.

So I have 2 weeks to do my final prep. for the race which is a 325 meter swim, 11.5 mile Bike and 3.5 mile run. Then a week after I am going back to the Dr for both my knee and wrist...but until then I am going to tough up and work through it.

-c

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chad,
I am glad to see that you are disciplined and focused on accomplishing this goal, which you set for yourself. I can tell that this is something you enjoy, and the fact that you haven't given up even under setbacks and challenges is commendable; your faith will help you achieve success. Remember, you only lose if you quit. I will continue to pray that God will bless your efforts and keep His protective hand on you as you compete. Love, Mom